Monday, November 16, 2009

RANDALL SZOTT




It's hard to put into words exactly what Randall Szott does within the art world. He does not consider himself and artist persay but...well read the interview and desipher for yourself. He recently held an exhibition of sorts at
Three Walls.


> What's your work about right now?

My work is about making food that the 18 man crew of the Glenn Edwards
like to eat.You see, as far as "work" goes, I'm not an artist, but a
cook in the merchant marine. To paraphrase Ben Kinmont - Sometimes the
best sculpture is to provide for your family. I'm just a guy that
talks about things, reads, plays poker, cooks, does a little writing,
and tries my best to live a meaningful life. I willingly engage the
public when I can and it just so happens that most of my opportunities come from an art context, but I have no real allegiance to the field.

> Who are your influences?
I am deeply influenced by the rich legacy of American thought/practice
- John Dewey, Richard Shusterman, William James, David Robbins, John Cage,
Donna Haraway, Cornel West, Allan Kaprow,Henry David Thoreau, Walt Whitman, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Jane Addams.
As far as the non-American set goes-
Michel de Certeau, Elizabeth Grosz, René Girard, Josef Pieper,and Ivan Illich have shaped me as well. Of course, my friends and family are my greatest source of inspiration.

> Where do you go to come up with imagery?
I don't really work with images in the sense implied here. I
look to flea markets, thrift stores, shopping malls, roadside
attractions, and other sites of vernacular/popular culture as well as
restaurants, farmer's markets, the ocean and wilderness to reflect on
questions large and small.

I'm not particularly special. I, like many people, try to find
meaningful activities to enrich my life. I'm interested in the various
ways people make sense of themselves and their world in ordinary and
extraordinary contexts.

interview by Sara Heymann, sara@thechicagogrid.com

No comments:

Post a Comment